This is a reprint from Wake Genealogy Watch, Spring 2019 (v2.3). The strategy mentioned has stood the test of time and has not failed me yet. I wish I could be disciplined enough to get ALL my files converted to this method. That is the life of a genealogist - too much to do, not enough time to do it all! - CD
File naming is one of the biggest challenges for me in my genealogy pursuits. There are so many files, with so many names—some the same that need differentiating, and all different types of records. Separate by name, surname group, record type, file type??… We all struggle with this.
Two years ago, I was following along on Thomas MacEntee’s Genealogy Do Over Facebook group and happened on to a discussion of document naming strategies. There were many very good strategies and suggestions there, but one was a game changer. It is something that I use consistently and it has proven itself in usefulness and accuracy. I currently use it for pictures and documents. I plan to use a version of it to name all the spreadsheets and data files generated in sorting out DNA matches as well.
Here is the original post from that FB feed:
“I use a system I found long ago (I can't even remember where) that names documents starting with the person's name then the year that person was born and then the year of the document and document type: LastFirstbxxxxYYYYRecord.”
I found it difficult reading with the two dates right next to each other. I have varied the format to make it easier. I moved the document date and added spaces: Last First bxxxx Record YYYY.
My naming pattern tends to look like this:
Courtney Marshall A b1892 newspaper 1918.docx
Another variation that I made was to add a location at the end where relevant. Example: Courtney Marshall A b1892 census 1910 La Ouachita.jpg. It is nice to see a migration pattern emerge as the records are sorted by date.
I have also found it flexible enough to accommodate naming things that did not quite fit the formula - like group pictures or handling maiden names and married names of females. My female ancestors tend to be named with the maiden name first, capitalized, and the married names following the given name in lower case. Cornelison Peggy whitley cleaver b1928 obit 2015.jpg
A group photo would have this format: Lentz Family Ira James Luther Augustus Lizzie Elizabeth Fannie Minnie.jpg
Or Culp Lee with bros Floyd Lex Weldon George Bennie c1930s.jpg
I still have many files needing to be renamed, so my system is not perfect yet. I can see a clear difference in quick retrieval of the files I have updated compared to the ones that are still waiting to be updated.
![]() |
Here is a screenshot of my naming strategy in action. Search box is in upper right corner. |
There are two big pluses to this system that I have experienced. First, everything is all in one folder so you don't have to remember where you put it. Second, files are infinitely searchable in your file explorer system. You can search by name, date, document type, or location and pull up the record almost instantly. Harness the power of your file explorer search function. You will love it!
Visit Wake County Genealogical Society's Website - Homepage | WCGS Events | Join WCGS | Publications | Wake Cemetery Survey Images | Society Surnames | Digital Resources | History Resources | More Links and Resources | Donate | Contact - info(at)wakecogen(dot)org

Comments
Post a Comment