The home was built in 1850 by Dr. Thomsas Devereux Hogg. It originally filled the whole block.
The Union army may have housed officers here during the war while the troops camped on the grounds.
Descendants of the Hogg family lived here until Dr. Hogg's grandaughter, Sally, passed in 1951. In 1962 the grounds were razed when construction began for the Archives and History building.